This season Plymouth Theatre Royal have some amazing shows scheduled. Whats also great is they’re also offering relaxed performances to anyone who finds the idea of a trip to the theatre daunting.
What is a Relaxed Performance?
These are performances that effectively reduce the stress that some sensory elements of a show can cause people by creating a more relaxed environment.
So whats different?
Well actually quite a lot. For example if you were to attend a performance like this you would:-
- Immediately notice how informal the atmosphere is.
- You can can enter and leave the theatre throughout the show – the doors will be left open throughout the show.
- House lights will stay on and strobe lighting will be avoided.
- There won’t be any loud bangs or loud music
- A chill-out zone is available, for those who need it.
- You won’t be discouraged from making any noise during the show.
- There will be additional staff on hand, with Makaton training, to help you.
- An increased number of wheelchair spaces will be made available available
Upcoming relaxed performances:
The Gingerbread Man – Saturday 5th January 3.00pm
Dick Wittington – Wednesday 9th January at 12.30pm
Tickets are not available to book online, please contact the Box Office on 01752 267222.
Making theatre more accessible for everyone
You can find out what else Plymouth Theatre Royal has done to make their performances more accessible by clicking here